2019 Westchester County School Music Association
All-County Jazz Festival
Dear Band Directors,
We are pleased to announce the 29th annual Westchester All-County Jazz Festival. Similar to last year, Mamaroneck School District will serve as host to every part of the festival. High school students with Jazz experience are encouraged to audition. Provided enough students participate, we should have two big bands each led by their own guest conductor. Each ensemble will be formed according to the typical big band instrumentation of five saxophones (2 altos, 2 tenors, 1 baritone), four trumpets, four trombones, piano, guitar, bass (electric or acoustic) and drum set. Vibraphone players are welcome to audition as well. The March 15th concert will feature performances by both All-County Jazz bands and will also include performances by one or more local Westchester high school Jazz bands. Depending on the level of interest we may also permit a performance by one middle school jazz band. CD, DVD or YouTube video should be submitted for committee review by January 31st, 2019. In order to avoid conflicts with the 6:30 pm rehearsal times, band directors, students, and their parents must agree that students will not be committed to in-school or out-of-school events on the rehearsal dates.
All-County Jazz Auditions, Rehearsals & Concert will take place at:
Hommocks Middle School: 130 Hommocks Road Larchmont, NY 10538
Auditions: Saturday, January 5th, 2019 at Hommocks Middle School (North Wing)
(9:00 am – 12:30 pm) (Snow Date: Monday, January 7th, 3:30 – 7:30 pm)
Rehearsal #1: Wednesday, February 13th, 2019 at Hommocks Middle School (East Wing)
(6:30 – 9:30 pm) (Snow Date: Thursday, February 14th)
Rehearsal #2: Tuesday, March 12th, 2019 at Hommocks Middle School (East Wing)
(6:30 – 9:30 pm) (Snow Date: Thursday, March 14th)
Rehearsal #3: Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 at Hommocks Middle School (East Wing) (6:30 – 9:30 pm) (Snow Date: Thursday, March 14th)
All-County Jazz Concert:
Friday, March 15th, 2019 at Hommocks Middle School (7:30 p.m.)
Improvisation clinic for All-County Jazz participants: 6-7pm
(Snow Date: Monday, March 18th @ 7:30 p.m.)
Please also print out the: Student Information Sheet and Student Application. These materials should be copied and given to interested students. The following WCSMA regulations will be adhered to:
- Students in grades 9-12 and members in good standing in their school band are eligible to participate.
- The school music teacher must be a member of WCSMA and is responsible for signing and submitting all applications. If school music teacher WCSMA dues are not paid, no students from that district will be eligible to participate
- Students already selected for Conference All-State Jazz Ensemble are NOT automatically selected for the All-County Ensemble. They must fill out the Student Application AND AUDITION for placement.
- Jazz Solos should be a level V or VI selected from Edition 32 of the NYSSMA Manual. See student information sheet for the specifics.
- If selected, students must attend All rehearsals/performances and agree that they will not be committed to other events on the designated rehearsal dates. Failure to comply will result in removal from the festival. (Please note the snow dates as well.) No Exceptions.
- All student applications must be received by Friday, December 21st
If your high school or Middle School jazz band wishes to perform in the concert, you must submit TWO SELECTIONS, recorded by your ensemble this school year (CD or DVD). ONE of the two selections must be in a SWING style. The other selection can be in a style of your choice. This tape/CD must be postmarked by January 31st, 2019 and will be reviewed by a non-partisan committee.
James P. Mullen, Festival Coordinator
Hommocks Middle School: 130 Hommocks Rd. Larchmont, NY 10538
Phone: 914-220-3300; Ext 5297